Friday, November 14, 2014

no shame in my game


Why is it, that as moms, when we are with our kids we look forward to a break but when we are away from our kids we can't wait to get back to them!? I am convinced that this is a struggle that will never cease...or even lighten. I'm sure when I'm 80 years old and my kids are grandparents themselves I will still struggle to find the balance between living with my kids full time (I'm sure that won't be their first choice...) and only visiting them once a year. Aside from the time struggle there is also this weird, grey area, almost twilight zone-ish struggle of wanting to go do something mommy-like for yourself but wanting one of your kiddos to go with you. I know, I know, it makes absolutely no sense. I can't even make sense of it myself...forget explaining it! I guess it's just one of those wonderful things that happens to us when we become mommies, much like crying at commercials and feeling the need to take a picture of each and every one of our kid's breaths. Sigh. Anyway, when I'm having one of "those days" that I want to run to Hobby Lobby and stroll mindlessly through the aisles but want to spend time with one of my boys at the same time (it's an unattainable fantasy ladies...I wouldn't recommend it...) what is there to do but bribe my kids with a sweet treat to get them to go out with me! That's right, I am unashamed (well maybe a little bit ashamed) to admit that sometimes I have to bribe my boys with Starbucks cake pops or Braum's ice cream to get them to accompany me on a day out. I usually just call out "who wants to go with mommy for a cake pop?" and see who comes running. This time it was Maddox. In fact, it's usually Maddox. At age ten, Ash isn't as easily bribed anymore. I'm gonna have to up my game with him...

No comments: