Thursday, July 17, 2014

a REAL father on father's day

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!! For Brandon, it kind of stinks that Father's Day falls on a Sunday because that's his busiest work day of the week. He has to be up extra early on Sunday's and was often up extra late on Saturday nights to prepare. Because our lives are so busy and Sunday's in particular are busy and can be extra stressful for Brandon we often celebrate Father's Day in a low key, restful kind of way. This year, I decided to show Brandon how much the boys and I appreciate him by serving him all of his favorite foods and letting him have control of not only the television remote but also the living room sofa so that he could watch and nap as he saw fit!

Obviously, since Brandon has to be at church so early on Sunday's breakfast was out of the question but when Brandon walked in after our church's final morning service I made sure to have his favorite appetizer hot and ready for him while I cooked lunch. Brandon LOVES fried green beans and so that's what I had waiting for him when he came through the front door! No, I did not make them from scratch...I cheated and bought frozen ones but they were very yummy and I had a hard time not eating them all before Brandon actually arrived home. (I did eat a few though...and then rearranged the plate to make it look full again...)


Before lunch was served the boys presented their homemade cards and gifts to daddy. They drew him some awesome pictures and wrote very sweet words. We also gave him a Cloyde Rivers' t-shirt and sticker for his laptop. He was thrilled! This t-shirt could come back to haunt me...


 

Even though it may seem like the worst Father's Day meal of all time Brandon's absolute favorite food is FROZEN PIZZA and so that's what I fixed him for lunch. When we were first married and I was doing my best to learn to cook "real food" I would get my feelings hurt when Brandon would choose a frozen pizza over my meal. I always joked with him that if and when technology advanced to the point that some sort of smart oven could prepare Brandon's frozen pizza FOR him without him having to do anything whatsoever that he wouldn't need me anymore! Ha! Thankfully, the world hasn't gotten there quite yet so I still have a job...even if it is just opening a box straight out of the freezer and sliding the pizza into the oven.


Brandon spent the afternoon napping and watching re-run movies on TV until dinner was served. For dinner I made chicken and sausage jambalaya with corn bread. I have tried to make jambalaya before and it didn't turn out. This time I tried a new recipe so I was kind of nervous but it was SOOOO good! We all loved it and I actually can't wait to make it again!


For dessert...no bake cookies! Happy Father's Day to us all!


Father's Day 2014 ended in the best way possible. The boys were showered, had a snack, brushed their teeth and picked up their rooms. Both Ash and Maddox were in their own rooms reading and I was cleaning the kitchen. As I walked down the hall, peeking in on the boys to make sure they were ACTUALLY reading, I saw that Brandon had moved from the living room to Maddox's room and was reading with him, both their feet dangling off the bed. This is a big deal! Not because Brandon won't read with the boys when they ask and not because Brandon isn't an attentive father (he is the best of both of those things and so much more) but this stood out to me because both Maddox and Brandon HATE to read! Instead of minimizing the need to read or giving Maddox an out, though, Brandon is encouraging his youngest boy to keep trying and even taking the time to lay with him ON FATHER'S DAY while he slowly sounds out words and does his best to make sense of each sentence. (It can be a painful experience, let me tell ya...) 

I'm so proud to have a best friend and husband who is also an amazing dad! He doesn't just ask the boys to share his interests he shares theirs and he sacrifices his down time to spend quality time with his boys. Be still my heart.

No comments: