Wednesday, August 6, 2014

surprise





The longer you are married and the busier life gets the less surprises happen. And that includes all good types of surprises. Romantic surprises, celebratory surprises, gift surprises. In fact, the surprises life delivers these days are more like "Maddox pushed someone on the playground today...", "Oops! You actually owe more on that hospital bill than we originally told you..." and "Here, enjoy the stomach flu on the same day of your son's music performance..." Let me tell ya, these aren't NEARLY as exciting. 

On June 1st, Brandon and I celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary. We made plans (actually I made plans) months earlier by ordering tickets to Les Miserables at the Civic Center downtown. It's not a fancy vacation but one night out seems like a week off in our very busy lives! Our tickets arrived for the performance and then about a week before our anniversary date night Brandon and I decided together that we would make reservations at The Melting Pot for dinner before the show. I was already excited to celebrate with B but my excitement turned to surprise when we walked into the restaurant, gave them our name and they wished us a happy anniversary as they led us to a private table set with a single rose and a card! I couldn't stop smiling! After we made our reservation Brandon had communicated with the restaurant and told them we were celebrating and upgraded us to a private table! Adorable! I knew our date night would be great but this simple surprise made it that much better. And it wasn't even the table OR the rose, it was the fact that Brandon thought ahead and made the night special and unique. 

B and I had a wonderful dinner together and a great time seeing Les Mis. Okay, I should be honest...I enjoyed Les Mis and Brandon endured it because he's such a great guy! Ha! He only truly enjoyed the more inappropriate portions of the play and admitted that even after I forced him to listen to a synopsis of the show beforehand he STILL didn't understand anything that was going on. I didn't mind though, I was still grinning ear to ear about my private table dinner surprise!

No comments: