Monday, August 24, 2009

aunt kiki, star wars and school...oh my!



This coming weekend two good friends of ours in Ponca City are getting married!! Ashtyn is the ring bearer and Karianne is the maid of honor!! Thanks to the upcoming nuptuals Aunt Kiki flew in today for a very quick visit! I picked her up at the airport at noon and after a sister lunch we went back to our house so the boys could visit with Kiki before Aunt Rae stole her and took her to Ponca City! It was a very short hour long visit but the boys were very excited to see Karianne (they even ran out into the driveway when we pulled up and gave her hug after hug!) and immidiately bombarded Karianne with requests to play their new board game Trouble and, of course, play outside! Aunt Kiki was a trooper and crawled into the Star Wars tent and even got in on a little lightsaber battle!

I think Aunt Kiki's visit was the perfect remedy for today. I have to tell you all that Ashtyn didn't have such a good morning going to school. Today was the first day that parents weren't allowed to walk their kids into the school and so Ashtyn just had to get out of the car in the "drop off area" and walk into the building and to his classroom all by himself. He was confident all morning but then as we pulled up to the school and it was his turn to get out of the car he suddenly got very shy (he even began sucking on his fingers) and refused to get out of the car. He began saying things like "I don't want to go" and "I don't remember where my class is". My heart was breaking. I think I was having flashbacks to my own elementary school experiences! (I too refused to go to school alone and spent many a morning sobbing and begging my mom not to make me go...) I didn't force Ash out of the car. I simply pulled through the drop off loop and into the teacher parking lot and parked the car. I talked to Ash for several minutes trying to coach him through what direction he had to walk to get to his class and reassuring him that he would be okay. Nothing was working. Finally, I did the shameful thing and bribed him. Oops! I told him that if he was brave and went into school that when I picked him up we would go to Wal-Mart and pick out a new board game! Once he heard that, a smile crossed his face and he agreed to go into school. I pulled the van back through the drop off loop and Ash reluctantly got out of the van. He slowly made his way up the sidewalk and turned to wave good-bye one more time. He walked very slowly but Maddox and I stayed in the parking lot until Ash was safely inside the school. My stomach hurt all morning hoping that Ash had made it to his class okay. I kept checking my phone to make sure the school didn't call to tell me he was breaking down, or worse yet, that he hadn't made it to his class only to find him crying alone in the bathroom. (I know, it's sick, my mind goes there...) When Maddox and I went to pick up Ashtyn, though, he was safe and healthy and had had a great day at school!! Whew...what a relief!! When Ash got in the car I asked him if he had made it to his classroom okay. He said that a girl helped him. He said "I wasn't shy at all mom! I told the girl that I was going to Mrs. Reddick's class and she helped me find it!" He was very proud of himself and I was proud of him too! I have to admit that I was a bit saddened too, to know that my baby managed to ask for help and take care of himself without mommy there to hold his hand and lead the way. I know he's growing up, though, and I'm hoping that tomorrow he will get off to school with a happy smile and no tears...from him or me!

3 comments:

amber said...

That's crazy that they won't let you walk your child in. I walked liz in everyday last year and will probably do the same this year. I would complain if I were you! He's only 5 for goodness sakes let his mommy walk him to class!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ash,
I am proud of you for being such a big boy!!! Mom, it will ALWAYS be hard to see them walk off by themselves (just remind me often that I DO NOT WANT THEM TO WALK BACK...Ha!) Love, Noni

Grma Pennie said...

(perfect story for another "lesson learned .....)

Both your Dad and I remember the many mornings of tears and sobbs when you were in Kindergarten. It still breaks our hearts to remember those times. "Please Daddy". Oh Man, it was torture for him to put you on the bus!!!!!

Ashtyn, you are a very brave young man. Gramma and Grampa are very very very very very proud of you. Did you know that Gramma is scared too? I start a new Kindergarten class in a few days and I'm nervous to meet my 18 new kiddos! I'm scared that they will cry or disobey or run away or maybe not like me as their teacher. But I shouldn't be scared ... Kindergarten is FUN! Right?

Love you all,
Gramma Pennie