Sunday, August 3, 2014

susie homemaker, 2014 edition






From an early EARLY age I loved baking! Unfortunately, though, I had a rocky start when it came to any kind of cooking. I remember one time in particular when Brandon and I were dating he came to my parent's house for a late Saturday morning breakfast and I felt so grown up to be making waffles for the occasion. I still to this day have NO idea what I did wrong but those waffles weren't even close to edible! Those who were brave enough to try my waffles said they tasted as close to what they imagined CARDBOARD would taste like and stopped after one bite. Brandon, however, just poured more sugary syrup on his horrible waffle and wolfed the entire thing down! I kept telling him he didn't have to eat it but he was determined. What a guy! Now, after 12 years of marriage I have gotten much better in the kitchen. I'm no master chef but I can whip up something yummy every night for dinner and I do my best to keep my boys stuffed with sweets! The sweets part is where I get excited. I love trying out new dessert recipes! I especially love seasonal desserts. Brandon and the boys like to keep it basic and are happiest when I bake cookies. Keeping the kitchen dessert plate full during the school year is pretty easy but during the summer it can be quite time consuming. Now, I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea...often times the cookies you see on the kitchen counter were baked fresh at the local Wal-Mart but when I do get the chance to bake from scratch it makes me oh so happy. For me, baking is relaxing. The smell of the chocolate, the sound of the mixer, the taste of an ooey gooey warm and chewy cookie straight from the oven, my flour coated fingerprints leaving marks on the pages of my favorite cookbook. My boys' current favorite? Cookies from the Miss Kay cookbook of Duck Dynasty fame! I'm convinced this is the messiest fun a self proclaimed obsessive compulsive can have! And the yummiest fun too!

No comments: